- Drain kidney beans and chickpeas in a sieve, rinse, drain and chop in a blender or with a hand blender (alternatively mash with a fork) so that a homogeneous mass is formed.
- Finely dice the onion. Add breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, grated cheese, diced onion, eggs, mustard and spices to the mixture and knead well.
- Form four equally sized patties from the mixture.
- Place on hot grill or skillet, sear vigorously, turn, top each patty with a slice of cheese and finish frying (cheese should melt slightly).
- Wash lettuce, slice tomatoes and cucumber.
- Lightly toast burger buns on cut side on grill or in skillet.
- Top bottom of bun with lettuce, patty, tomato and cucumber slices. Spread the top of the bun with cocktail sauce and place on top of the burger.
Tip: Prepare patties in advance and freeze. Defrost as needed and fry as described in #4.
For larger quantities, brown the patties on both sides, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, top each patty with a slice of cheese and let the cheese melt slightly in the oven at 100°C.