- Place bread cubes in a bowl.
- Melt sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and caramelize over low heat until golden brown (be careful, burns easily).
- Add butter and melt. Add milk, cinnamon and salt and simmer gently until caramel is dissolved.
- Pour the caramel milk over the bread cubes, mix and let swell for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel apples, remove core, cut into 4-5 mm cubes and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Add eggs to the bread cubes and mix in. Add apple cubes and mix in as well. If the waffle mixture is too firm, stir in some more milk until you have a soft, smooth mixture.
- Lightly grease and heat the waffle iron.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of the mixture onto the waffle iron and bake the waffle until golden brown. Repeat the process until all the mixture is used up.
- Dust finished waffles with powdered sugar and serve with e.g. compote or vanilla ice cream.